RAD READING – February

This month I read the book Starfish by Lisa Fipps. This story is about a 12 year old girl named Ellie. She had struggled with body positivity for her whole life. Her mom and siblings had brought her down her whole life due to her weight. Her dad, on the other hand, had supported her and everything about her since she was born. In this book, Ellie tries to find her way out of the jail cell she calls school. With a lot of twists and turns, Ellie makes her way through middle school struggles.

I love this book because of the surprising climax’s throughout the story. A great example of this from the story includes Ellie’s bully being confronted. I wont spoil the rest for you, but it’s really juicy! You should definitely try this novel. I have read this novel it’s of times before and it never gets old.

“Every kid needs one place to escape to when life gets too much.” (Page 16)

This is my favorite quote from this novel because it shows how much kids really need alone time and a place to escape. Every kid always needs somewhere that they can let all of their stress go.

My favorite character from Starfish is definitely the librarian, Mrs. Pochon. She is such a sweet character that helps Ellie through her struggles and lets her be herself without judging her.

“She’s the first person to smile at me today. The first to make me feel wanted.

This quote shows that Mrs. Pochon cares about Ellie and her struggles because she actually wants to let Ellie know that she’s wanted and okay. Mrs. Pochon wants nothing but the best for Ellie.